Thursday, March 28, 2013

Month 7 Day 27 and 28


Notebook Entry
None

Journal Entry
Stuck in Leatherneck the whole day.

 In the morning I saw some of the Georgian military. Wow, if these guys are emblematic, then they need NATO much more than it needs them. Fingers on triggers, uniforms in all states of disrepair. The funny thing is that one of their primary missions here is to train Afghans. Ha, the blind leading the blind.

The Capt the Gunny and I tried to get onto a C-130 Space-a [Space Available] but the flight was canceled because of a sandstorm. I spent most of the day in the terminal working on my sample chapter, outline and book proposal. It was nice time away from the work environment for that. The Capt and the Gunny decided to sleep in the terminal and were a bit miffed at me for going back to the tent. They were also a bit upset that I didn't want to take part in mindless conversation, I wanted to read and learn and write. The Capt said I spent all day writing the book and the Gunny said he was going to sue me if I published it. Oh well, I slept well, except for a little restlessness contemplating whether I could go to jail for writing up things of dubious classification or whether I could be sued for libel, got up worked out, had a good breakfast in time to make it back only to miss a USAF flight not because I was last but because it was down for maintenance. I tried to call to find out some more info about flying rotary wing without flak and kevlar, they said we needed them. This was different gauge [information] than they gave the Gunny and he blamed me for us not going on it tonight. He is just grumpy that his heroic stay in the Paxterm [Passenger Terminal] was fitful.

Now I'm here. I kicked it with the Bosnian chick (term used loosely) and the Dude (a bald weightlifter type) and talked to them about their 2.5 year tours first in Iraq and now here. They say they don't mind it, they get to go home every four months they Skype with their kids, and I am sure the pay is pretty good for pretty easy work. This war is a welfare program for more than just Afghans.

I love my wife.

Day 28
Notebook Entry
None

Journal Entry

Went back worked on the book chapter, watched I am Legend. Went to sleep

No comments:

Post a Comment